English Requirement | 482 visa

The English requirement that you will need to satisfy for your TSS 482 visa application will depend on whether your nominated occupation is on the Short Term Skilled Occupation List or the Medium and Long Term Strategic Skills List.

English Requirement - 482 visa

Short Term list English requirement

Examination typeScores required
IELTSOverall average score of 5, with a minimum score of at least 4.5 in each band
PTE Academic Overall average scores of 36, with minimum of 30 in each band
CAE Cambridge AdvancedOverall average scores of 154, with minimum of 147 in each band
OET (for medical and allied health occupations)‘B pass’ is required for all 4 components of the OET
TOEFL iBTTotal score of 35, with at least 3 in Listening and Reading and at least 12 in Speaking and Writing

Medium and Long Term list English requirement

Examination typeScores required
IELTSMinimum score of at least 5.0 in each test component
PTE Academic Minimum score of at least 36 in each test component
CAE Cambridge Advanced Minimum score of at least 154 in each test component
OET (for medical and allied health occupations)Minimum score of at least B for each test component
TOEFL iBTMinimum score of at least 35 overall and at least 4 in each test component

You can complete your examination after lodgement of your TSS 482 visa application during the Department’s processing time, before the Department decides your visa application. Your English examination result is valid for 3 years from the date of the examination, and you must achieve the required examination scores in one single examination attempt (i.e. you cannot combine scores from multiple examinations).


Your country of passportYou hold a passport from Canada, New Zealand, Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or the United States.
Five years of studyYou have completed at least five years of full-time study in a secondary and/or higher education institution where the instructing language is English. You will need to provide evidence of this.
Your salaryYou are exempt if your base annual salary is at least AUD $96,400. Please note that base salary excludes bonuses, incentive based pay, overtime pay etc.

Registration, Licence or Membership


If your profession/occupation requires any registration, licence or membership before you can start to work in Australia (i.e. nurses, doctors, electricians), then the Australian regulatory body for your profession/occupation may specify that you need to demonstrate a certain level of English language ability before you can obtain the registration, licence or membership that is required for you to work in your profession/occupation in Australia.


If the required level of English language ability is equivalent to higher scores than the scores required for your TSS 482 visa application, then you need to meet the higher level of English language ability that is set by the regulatory body. You will need to provide evidence from the regulatory body which shows the level of English language ability that is set to obtain the required registration, licence or membership, and also evidence to show that you meet this.


If a lower or if no level of English language ability is set by the regulatory body, and none of the above exemptions apply, then you still need to satisfy the English language requirement outlined above.

Frequently Asked Questions


Q: What will be the English language requirement for when I apply for permanent residency with the sponsorship of my employer?
A: This is explained in detail in this post


Q: Are you sure that both Academic or General Training IELTS examinations are accepted?
A: Yes


Q: If I do not meet the English language requirement and I lodge my application anyway, can the Department approve it?
A: You need to satisfy all the relevant eligibility requirements. The Department will not approve an application that does not satisfy all the requirements


Q: I do not satisfy any of the above exemptions, but I have clear evidence of my English language ability (e.g. I’ve worked in an English speaking country for a number of years, I’ve completed a number of years of study but don’t fit any of the exemptions outlined, I have professional membership, I’ve completed other English language examinations etc.), am I exempted from IELTS?
A: The only exemptions are both outlined above. If you do not satisfy any of the exemptions, then you need to complete an English examination and achieve the requirement examination scores


Q: Do dependent 482 visa applicants need to satisfy any English language requirement?
A: Not for the purposes of the visa application (they may need this if they want to work in certain occupations in Australia)

Client reviews


Zet · April 19, 2024 at 7:21 pm

HI, I’m Zet… Just wondering if what PTE score do we need to provide as a dependent of 482 visa and we are planning to apply for PR in Australia? Thank you

    My Access Australia · April 22, 2024 at 1:34 pm

    Hi Zet
    There isn’t any English requirement for a dependent 482 visa.

Lakshmi · June 20, 2019 at 8:46 pm

Hi, My sister has completed 5 years Integrated course of M.Sc.Software Engineering after her +12 grade schooling, Full time with english…Can she comes under the Exception for English?
Kindly help

    My Access Australia · June 24, 2019 at 4:28 pm

    Hi Lakshmi,
    Yes, in theory. The exemption will be available to your sister if she has completed at least five years of full-time study in a secondary and/or higher education institution where the instructing language is English. She will need to provide evidence of this.

Sri · June 20, 2019 at 5:10 pm

Hi I’m working 10 years (Singapore) CNC machinists, I get sponsor 482 tss visa but I don’t have ILTES.can possible get visa? Thank you

    My Access Australia · June 24, 2019 at 4:28 pm

    Hi Sri,
    You need to meet the English requirement unless you meet one of the exemption categories. Please see above post for a details explanation of the English requirement and exemptions.

Thiruppathi T · May 26, 2019 at 1:14 pm


It is written like English examination is valid for 3 years. But PTE score card is valid for 2 years as per the certificate provided. My PTE score is going to expire by next month(completing 2 years). So can I still apply for 482 considering the score will be valid for one more year as mentioned above or I have to write PTE again.

Please clarify my doubt.


    Peng Cheng · May 27, 2019 at 9:03 pm

    Hi Thiruppathi,
    Yes Department considers results to be valid for 3 years.

DHANYA ANAND ANILKUMAR · April 16, 2019 at 4:21 pm

Can I club the scores of OET exam with 2 sittings which is written within 6 months.

    Peng Cheng · April 23, 2019 at 3:53 pm

    Hi Dhanya,
    You can’t take 2 sittings.

Annesha · October 28, 2018 at 10:27 pm

Do dependent 482 visa applicants can get same work permit in Australia, if satisfy English language requirement and occupations?

    Peng Cheng · November 1, 2018 at 7:37 pm

    A dependent 482 visa holder has full and unrestricted work and study rights.

      Annesha · November 1, 2018 at 9:53 pm

      Thanks for your response, But do I have to submit all Educational and English Language certificate of dependents for applying visa?

Ajal · February 7, 2018 at 10:50 am

Hi, My name is Ajal I was hoping you could help me. I am planning to apply for my temporary work visa subclass 485 and I’m confused about the fact that my English language requirement might expire after lodging that is during the process while still on bridging visa. Is that a problem ?? Or is it alright as long as you meet English prerequisite at the time of lodging.

Pearl · June 14, 2013 at 6:51 am

Hi Peng,

My husband is in Australia since last 5 years and studied cookery and business. He has overall 5 in IELTS. Is it possible to apply 457 visa before 1st July 2013 with the same IELTS result? Or he needs 5 in each? He is getting sponsorship as a cook or baker.

    Peng Cheng · June 18, 2013 at 7:57 am

    Hi Pearl,
    As stated above, he needs 5 in each band. 5 average is not enough.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *