The primary visa applicant must be under 45 years of age at the time that the visa application is lodged. The primary applicant can turn 45 years of age or older after lodgement of the visa application during the Department’s processing time.
Age Exemptions -186 & 187 visa
There are only a few allowed exceptions to this requirement for those applicants that are 45 years of age or over at the time that you lodge your visa application, which are outlined below:
- You are nominated under the Temporary Residence Transition stream, and you have worked for your nominating employer for the last 3 years and your earnings were at least equivalent to the Fair Work High Income Threshold for each year over that three year period
- You are a New Zealand citizen and hold a Subclass 444 visa, or sponsored partner of a New Zealand citizen and hold a Subclass 461 visa, and you are sponsored by a business that you have worked for, where you have worked for the business and in your nominated role for least two years (excluding any periods of unpaid leave) in the last three years immediately before applying (Direct Entry stream only)
- You are applying under the Temporary Residence Transition stream, and you are nominated under a medical practitioner occupation (all medical practitioner occupations starting with ANZSCO code 253) and you meet all of the below:
- Working in your nominated occupation as the holder of a 482 or 457 visa for at least three years immediately before applying
- For at least two of these three years, you were employed in regional Australia
- Your current nominated position is located in regional Australia
- You are nominated under a Labour Agreement stream, and the business’ relevant Labour Agreement allows for the Primary visa applicant to be 45 years of age or older at the time of visa application
- Ministers of religion nominated by a religious institution
- Researchers, scientists and technical specialists at ANZSCO skill levels 1 or 2 who have been nominated by an Australian government agency
- Senior academics employed by a university in Australia
There is no age limit for the primary visa applicant’s partner (if applicable and included in visa application).
Important note: There are transitional arrangements in place for Subclass 457 visa holders, who either held or were applying for a Subclass 457 visa on 18 April 2017. If you held or were applying for a Subclass 457 visa on 18 April 2017, and you are applying under the Temporary Residence Transition stream, then you need to be under the age of 50 at the time of visa application.