482 or 457 Visa | Changing Your Employer

As a 482/457 visa holder, if you are looking to change your employer and have your new employer take over the sponsorship for your visa, you need to firstly ensure that your prospective employer is eligible to sponsor you for a 482/457 visa. This generally means that they need to hold Standard Business Sponsorship and that this sponsorship is valid (or that they are eligible and willing to apply for this).

When you can start working with your new sponsor

Your prospective employer will need to lodge a 482 nomination application and have this approved before you can start employment with them. You can’t start working for your prospective employer before the 482 nomination is approved.

The Department’s normal processing time for a 482 nomination application is around 2-8 weeks.

Serving our your notice period

Under condition 8107 which applies to primary 482/457 visa holders, you can only work for your sponsoring employer and in your approved role. The exception to this is when you’re changing your employer and 482/457 visa sponsor. Even after the 457482/457 nomination application for your new employer has been approved and your sponsorship has changed to this new employer, you can continue to work for your former employer and sponsor to ‘fulfil a requirement to give notice of termination of employment’.

Basically, you’re allowed to fulfil the terms of your employment contract.

Do I need to do anything for the 482 nomination application?

Generally speaking, the nomination application relates to the role that you will be performing. Your employer needs to demonstrate that the role is consistent with an occupation that is on the list of eligible occupations, and that there is a genuine need for your role.

Your employer may ask you for the following documents for the 482/457 nomination application:

  • Passport
  • Qualifications
  • Evidence of English language ability
  • Work references
  • Payslips demonstrating your paid work experience
Client reviews


herman · October 2, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Hi Peng, I am currently on 457 visa. I wish I could get a PR soon so that I got an offer from other company to sponsor me 186 visa Direct Entry Stream. Is that possible?

The proposed company used to sponsor others and have a nomination license till 2021. If I tell my current employer that I want to quit. Is it going to risk my status in Australia?

gabby457 · September 24, 2018 at 4:12 pm

HI Peng, i am in the process of changing employers under the 457 visa, i was wondering if my current employer would be notified that my potential new employer is submitting a nomination to transfer my 457 visa

    Peng Cheng · September 28, 2018 at 7:05 pm

    Hi Gabby,
    Your current employer won’t be informed of a potential employer is submitting a nomination. It is the employee’s responsibility to inform the business and terminate employment, as per the contractual arrangements.

Javin4 · August 23, 2018 at 8:13 pm

Hi Peng, I have left my previous company and found a company that will sponsor me, the new employer lodge the application on 21st August, my 60 days will end on 6th Spetember. How long would it take for the visa transfer nomination to get approved? Will I get priority processing?

Gnana · August 22, 2018 at 11:40 am

Hello everyone,

I am on 457 and my sponsorship was recently changed from Company A to Company B, but Company B didn’t change sponsorship of my dependants (wife and child), what is the impact of this? Can my wife and child travel to Australia as currently they are in overseas for a vacation. Please advise.

    Peng Cheng · August 22, 2018 at 9:51 pm

    Hi Gnana,
    I suggest that you check with the Department.

Peng Cheng · July 16, 2018 at 8:27 pm

Hi Sohan,
Thank you for your comment and query.
It would be best to contact us if you need consultation and advice in relation to your application. It isn’t really possible to obtain the information/documents that we need, or provide detailed advice via these comment fields which are intended for short/specific queries.

    Sohan · July 16, 2018 at 8:51 pm

    Is there any best number to contract with you

      Peng Cheng · July 18, 2018 at 10:16 pm

      Please call 0401 000 568

Peng Cheng · July 13, 2018 at 10:31 pm

Hi Jay,
Yes the new employer can transfer your 457 visa to their business by lodging a 482 TSS nomination application.

    Jay · August 13, 2018 at 1:51 pm

    Dear Peng, I am 457 visa holders granted in Feb 2018.

    How long its normally take for the new nomination to be approved? The new nomination was lodged on 1/8/2018 and we are still waiting for the response. It is showing ‘received’ on the IMMI account and no further information was requested in the past 10 days. I am afraid it would take beyond the 60 days grace period as the termination date of my current employment is 14/8/2018.

    Do it matter?

      Peng Cheng · August 13, 2018 at 5:31 pm

      Please see Department website for processing time information:

        Jay · August 15, 2018 at 4:40 pm

        I note that it is for the visa 482 processing time, can it be applied to nomination transfer? Will this giving priority?

          Peng Cheng · August 16, 2018 at 9:17 pm

          Nomination processing time should be similar.
          Business would need to ask for priority processing.

      Javin4 · August 23, 2018 at 8:06 pm

      Hi Jay, can you give an update? Did your nomination get approved? how long did it take?

Peng Cheng · July 13, 2018 at 10:29 pm

Hi AT,
The processing time should be similar to the new 482 visa: https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/trav/visa-1/482-

    Ami · July 13, 2018 at 11:13 pm

    Thanks PC

Rory · July 13, 2018 at 3:14 pm

Hello Peng,

I am currently on a 457 visa (valid until 2022) and I am in the process of changing employers (same occupation). I have had a new 482 nomination approved today. Do I need to do anything to complete the transfer or am I clear to begin working with my new employer?

Kind regards

    Peng Cheng · July 13, 2018 at 10:38 pm

    Hi Rory,
    You can start working with the new business once the nomination application to transfer your visa is approved.

    Lisa · August 17, 2018 at 10:11 pm

    Hi Rory, please can you share your timeline? When your new employer filed the 482 nomination and when was your nomination approved?

Mohammad Abdelnabi · July 9, 2018 at 8:51 pm

Hi Peng,

Hope you are well.

I’m on 457 visa.left my employer and signed a new contract. The new employer said we have to wait 2 weeks before transferring the nomination to meet the labor market criteria. i will travel overseas next Saturday and will back on 5 Aug,can i leave and back to AU within the 60 days that IMMI gives to me?

Kind regards,

Jack · June 26, 2018 at 11:41 pm

hello Peng, i already have an approved nomination for my new employer, but my previous employer said that a new approved nomination is not enough proof to say that i can work already with my new employer. do i need to inform immigration that i have changed employer? isnt a new approved nomination enough? thanks

    Peng Cheng · June 27, 2018 at 8:12 pm

    Hi Jack,
    You can start working for the new business after nomination approval.

Ven · June 26, 2018 at 6:41 am


I’m on a 457 visa. I found a new employer with a better offer than my previous one. My new employer’s already initiated for visa transfer( i.e. 457 to TSS Visa)

Can I get a Bridging Work visa during the transfer duration, and will I eligible to work in Australia during the visa transfer period?


    Peng Cheng · June 26, 2018 at 10:36 pm

    Hi Ven,
    Generally speaking you only get your bridging visa after your current 457 visa expires.

Nadine · June 25, 2018 at 12:44 pm


I’m on a 457 visa. I found a new employer with a better offer than my previous one. My new employer’s nomination has been approved. Can I start working with them? Or do I need to apply for a visa transfer! My VEVO account still shows my previous employer.

    Peng Cheng · June 26, 2018 at 12:22 am

    Hi Nadine,
    Sorry but your comment is confusing.
    You can if your visa has been transfer to the new business after a nomination approval.

      Nadine · June 28, 2018 at 12:47 pm

      My previous employer said that a new approved nomination is not enough proof to say that I can work with my new employer. Theyre still insisting that I need to work with them as part of my visa conditions because nomination approval is not enough. They’re insisting that my visa needs to be transferred first before I can start working.

        Peng Cheng · June 29, 2018 at 10:53 am

        You can check with the Department if you wish.

Andrea Frabetti · June 19, 2018 at 12:13 am

Hi, I’m currently on the old 457 visa ( approved before April 2017), but I’ve received a very good offer from another business, if I change employer will I lose the right to apply for a pr? Thanks in advance

    Peng Cheng · June 20, 2018 at 10:37 pm

    Hi Andrea,
    Unfortunately I can’t provide advice about your visa eligibility just based on your comment information.
    Please see Contact Us page and in relation to our Consultation Service – feel free to contact us if you need advice in relation to your visa options.

Pedro h nogueira · June 15, 2018 at 2:06 pm

Hi Pen how are you? I’m current holding a 457 visa. I would like to know if I can transfer for a new employer or I need to lodge for the tss?tks

    Peng Cheng · June 16, 2018 at 10:39 am

    Hi Pedro,
    You can transfer an existing 457 visa with the employer lodging a TSS nomination application.

Linaj · June 11, 2018 at 7:06 am

Hi Peng,

I applied for 457 early March this year & haven’t received visa decision yet, Can I change the employer in to a new employer who wish to sponsor me now or should wait until the current visa is processed?


    Peng Cheng · June 11, 2018 at 5:07 pm

    Hi Linaj,
    You can change your sponsor by lodging a TSS nomination application after your visa is approved. I’m not sure about whether you can change your sponsor before the Department decides your application.

Andrew · June 8, 2018 at 3:56 pm

Hi Peng,
My current sponsor is selling the business. Can I still transfer my 457 visa to new employer as this subclass has been ceased in the meantime?

    Peng Cheng · June 9, 2018 at 12:41 pm

    Hi Andrew,
    You can transfer your 457 visa with the new business lodging a TSS visa nomination application.

      Andrew · June 9, 2018 at 12:45 pm

      Hi Peng,
      Thank you for your reply.
      Would I still be eligible for PR?

        Peng Cheng · June 9, 2018 at 12:53 pm

        Unfortunately I can’t provide advice about your visa eligibility just based on your comment information.
        Please see Contact Us page and in relation to our Consultation Service – feel free to contact us if you need advice in relation to your visa options.

Danielle · May 27, 2018 at 11:14 am

Hi there!
I received one of the last 457 visas. I had it issued in February 2018.
I am looking to changed employers and wanted to know if anyone knows the cost the employer is charged for the transfer?
When going into interviews it would be helpful to spell it out that to have me the transfer cost 1,000 or whatever the amount is!
Can’t seem to find this cost anywhere 🙁

Sam · May 20, 2018 at 12:21 am

Hello, I was on 457visa with employer A. But as my visa was close to being expired, I’ve found new employment with employer B, which have applied to sponsor me on 457. Now that my original 457 visa has expired and I’m on a bridging a visa, and the new application has not been determined. What can I do for work? How long does 457 application process takes now?

    Peng Cheng · May 26, 2018 at 8:38 pm

    Hi Sam,
    You can check your current bridging visa for your work rights and conditions.
    Processing time for a 457 visa application is anywhere from 2-6 months or longer – there are no set processing times.

Lawrence · April 27, 2018 at 12:15 am

Hi Peng,
In relation to the previous question, will the ABN change and (slight variation in name) mean that the 2 years experience will have to be restarted?

    Peng Cheng · April 28, 2018 at 12:55 pm

    Hi Lawrence,
    I’m sorry but this is a rather complicated matter that you are asking about.
    Unfortunately I can’t provide advice just based on your comment information.
    Please see Contact Us page and in relation to our Consultation Service – feel free to contact us if you need advice in relation to your visa options.

Khan · April 18, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Hi Peng,

Can anyone drive a taxi using his A.B.N. on his free time after fulfilling or working 38.5 hours/week for his sponsor on 457 visa? Please suggest…Thanks.

    Peng Cheng · April 19, 2013 at 8:31 am

    Hi Kham – No, you can only work for your sponsor so you can’t take up a second job.

Comments are closed.